How to properly manage hypertonic solution in emergency situations:
- Hypertonic solution usually used in emergency situations
- Pharmacy should stock 3% sodium chloride 500 mL bags in Intensive Care Units and Emergency Department’s Automatic Dispensing Machine towers
- Make sure it’s well labeled and sealed with a code cart tear away lock.
- ADM tower should contain electronic log of all the items released from it.
- Use infusion pumps to properly administer the correct dose to the patient.
- Once used, the machine sends electronic notification to the pharmacy to make sure a new stock of hypertonic solution bag is available.
- Must return the used bag to the pharmacy unless the patient was being isolated.
- Make sure the ADM tower is properly stocked, and it’s system inventory is updated.